Of Forks & Spoons..!!


Hmmm.. So as my title says..... My topic for the day is about FORKS & SPOONS...!!! Now , they don't need an introduction as they are very common to us in our everyday life, so much so that you must be even wondering what I have to write about them..... 

Well many things... Just read on..........

Actually whenever I go to eat out, I am very very nervous about eating with a fork and spoon... I feel some things are such that you cant manage to eat them with a spoons and forks..... At least I can't..!! 














Lets say... Pav-bhaji.. Now can you eat that without using your fingers..?? Even if you eat... Can you really enjoy the whole taste of it..?? It happened once when I went out with a couple of friends & we ordered Pav-Bhaji... Now this one friend of mine, she was so so particular that she cut the pav properly with her fork n spoon...picked up that piece with the fork, dipped it in bhaji and then ate it... Ohh Gosh..how can you eat it that way.. I did not even think of trying the whole process.. Just went along to eat my way.....!!!

Next...Dosa... Hmm... Now perhaps it is meant to be eaten that way in a restaurant & I even know that some people manage to eat it with spoons and fork properly and ohh-so- perfectly...!! My brother (oops..younger brother) is one among these genre of people... When eating out he is very very particular about using tissues, forks etc. Not that it is bad but when I am with him.. he expects me to do the same. Now I cant eat a Dosa with Fork... I can try but still I don't get the feel like I am eating it..n if I don't try, he gives me a look which says this-is-not-how-you-are-supposed-to-eat-it...!! And now that I know this perfectly well, I always order things that I can manage to eat with forks & spoons (properly). He is too particular about etiquette's when it comes to these things...But again it depends only on the place.. He is particular only about restaurants or malls.. Else we have even had Frankie wrapped with tissue and held in hand, at the stalls...!! 

The last on this list is Pizza... Yes , I even find it very very unmanageable to eat Pizza with knives & forks.. Tried it once and OMG.. I don't want to remember that day @Pizza Hut..!! At least the consolation on that day was that my friends and I , we were all in the same boat..!! None of us were able  to stuff any of those 6 pieces of the 8-inch round base topped with veggies...!! We really had a hilarious time there.. But thereafter,  I have never ordered a pizza when I went out.. I always prefer to eat it at home..!!

By now, you must be thinking this girl has no dining etiquette's..!! She cant even manage with Spoons & Forks...!! Let me tell you - Nothing like that. I just cant eat some things with them.. For the rest, I am comfortable using them..Like for pastas or Chinese food...!! And when at home, I am the one who uses the most number of spoons while dining. Now that is because I use a different spoon for everything on my plate. A different one for vegetable, a different one for rice and if there is some dessert, I can use another spoon. At my home, everyone is used to it but if I go out somewhere at someone else's place, people are startled to see this. They think I am far too sophisticated....!! Its not about being sophisticated but preference and they don't understand it.. Specially when at home and you eat rice with spoon.. They feel you are trying to be stylish or something something.. It is irritating at times. I have even heard so many lectures on how eating with hands helps in digestion, how fingers secrete digestive juices..etc. etc. etc....(I guess you wont understand this unless you know how Gujarati's eat and talk...!!) All this for using spoons..!!! Huh...!!!

So I really don't understand when it comes to Forks & Spoons.... To Use or Not To Use..??

Comments

Siddhesh Kabe said…
eh first off...pls delete this adult messages....

second off... i met a person who eats masala dosa with fork...he he he....:P
Ordinary Gal said…
same pinch...I also feel uncomfortable while eating Dosa with forks and knives...never tried pav-bhaaji and piza wid it :P
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anoop said…
hahaha... at last u changed the template??? hmmm good...
n abt forks n spoons./?? hehe.. i m better eatin with my hand.. ;)
AnicA said…
hey girl, the three things u mentioned, i.e. pav bhaji, dosa, n pizza, trust me they r meant for hands.... n ppl not using their hands for these are at a loss compared to ppl who use their hands. so stop ordering pizza at home, go out to the best pizzeria in town, order ur fav flavour, n let ur fingers help ur mouth with those delicious slices, n if those yummy strings of cheese tease ur fingers, lick it up, that's the way to do it !!! bon apetite for ur nxt pizza/pav bhaji/dosa trip :)
Harini said…
Once when I went out with friend. She started eating Pizza with fork and spoon. I tried nd I could eat it with perfection (ofcourse I was struggling but people wouldnt notice that) but it was no fun. Even when she was like thats not social etiquette and blah blah i shifted eating with hand. Some things are fun eating with hand and they taste better too.
Karthik said…
Hahaha... I could so relate to this. High five! ;)
One of my friends eats dosa in spoon and fork. I wonder how. Ridiculous, isn't it?
Had fun reading this. :)
Urvashi said…
@Sid: yeah..i hv deleted those comments... ufff..these spams... :(

Ohh u met somone like tht..hope he dint make u eat that dosa with fork..!! ;) :P

@An ordinary gal: U better dont try it.. :) Relish wit hur hands... :D

@Anoop: Hmm..i chngd it...

hmm...eating with hands is the best... really... :) :)

@enigma: ohh wow..the way u hv described eating a pizza out..i feel like going out n eating one right now.....!! So there are ppl who agree to me... cool.. :)

@Harini: u r rite..they taste better when eaten with hand. :) :) spcly pizzas n pav-bhaji.. :)

@Karthik: Ohh..same with u... glad to know tht...!! :)
really wondering how ppl miss out on so much fun n taste... by eating with forks n spoons..!! Thanks...

Cheers.. TC :)
Anonymous said…
Honestly , I dont know how ppl manage to eat dosa n all wid fork !! I once went in a restuarant ,where a guy was trying to eat a samosa wid a fork !!!! OMG ...this is the most stupid thing I have evr seen whch made me laugh so much until my tummy ached :):D N hey jahan tak forks n spoons ki baath hai , well eat how u fl comfortable wid ..al dats imp n matters is whether u njoy d food :)

PS : I too dont know to eat pizza using forks n all , but stil i go out n eat wid my hand ..it doesnt look dat odd yaar !!
Neha said…
you eat different stuff with different spoon? :O :O
never seen this before...

:)
Gautam said…
Pizza with forks and spoons?!! Never!! :)When I was in college, we had these Chinese and Malaysian guys who would use forks and spoons for practically everything..that included some unimaginable things like papad!! And they were even remotely clumsy about it :O

As for dosa, I have eating them all my life with forks and spoons..after reading the comments I feel like an alien now! :(
Urvashi said…
@adreamygal: Samosa... Ohh God..I m laughing readin this only.. n u saw him.....!! Definitely must hv given u a gr8 laugh.. :D

Hmm.. I would eat Pizza out now...!! Infact some days ago I went out for a pizza n we had it with hand only...bcos firstly we were the only ones there n secondly no forks were served with the pizza...I guess they just understood tht it wasnt required.. :)

@Neha: hmm.. but only at home... :P :D

@Gautam : Papad.. Oh My....... how can they that with forks n spoons......!!!!! hmm..but atleastr now, I know tht ppl like these exist tooo.... :D

N abt eating Dosa.. well.. u r not an alien..!!! u r from tht genre of ppl who can manage tht n there r many... I guess....!! :) :)
Beyond said…
I died laughing... forks and spoon... I still can't handle properly.
Meow said…
Same problem.......gosh....
Vinay Gudi said…
I will remember this article... next tym wen i will at a Restaurant :P
Urvashi said…
@Rajat: Hehe... the same case.. :)

@Meow: Hmmmm... inch pincg again.. ;)

@Vinay: Haha.. rmbr while using or not using forks when eating out..?? :) :)
Shanu said…
LOL..Fingers secrete digestive juices?? Now tatz a first!!

Cool blog :)
Unknown said…
if u want enjoy the food ,better eat by hand

Popular posts from this blog

3 Idiots, Damini's Take (Part - 2)

For the first time...

3 Idiots, My take - (PART 1)